Apparently chili is a summer tradition? I had no idea until this May when the bloggers and pinners I follow started blowing up with chili recipes. Chili and burgers is the America way, I guess.
Anyway! I’ve been trying to perfect my 3 bean chili for a few months now. It’s vegan, full of protein and healthy fats, and SO delicious. Also, it’s VERY easy to make. To prove my point, and because I was having a long day, Mike made this dish! He’s actually great when he has a recipe to follow and this was so simple. If he’s willing, he may just be making it more often 🙂
Three Bean Chili (prep time: 30 min, cook time: 2-5 hours, serves: 3-4)
- 2 cups water with bullion cube or veggie stock
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce or salsa
- 15 oz. kidney beans
- 15 oz. garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 30 oz. black beans
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (ONLY if you LOVE spicy)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Chop up the onion, pepper, and tomatoes. And add to a large pot or crockpot.
- Mince the garlic into the pot and add all other ingredients.
- Stir it all up.
- Turn on the heat. 5+ hours on low or 2 hours on high. Stir every 20-45 minutes. Keep an eye on the pot and remove from heat when onions get soft.
Ashley Life Update: Mike is finally in San Diego! He was delayed 3 times and landed 19 hours late but he’s safe and sound. Not caught in a tornado or a malfunctioning plane. Having him here changes my entire mood. It’s like I feel like a whole person again.
Three weeks apart was very odd for me. I found it harder to relax and be patient, and harder to digest all the changes that are happening in my life. Now I feel ready to take on the world and all the awesome things this move is bringing us. I am a seriously Happy Lass 🙂
Happy Friday everyone!