Sweet potatoes are flippin’ awesome. They are fantastic for digestion, heart health, skin health, and blood sugar levels. Specifically, they are high in Vitamin B6, Vitamin A, Fiber, Potassium, Vitamins C and E, and Manganese.
This recipe was my attempt at making my mom’s amazing shepherds pie but without the starch of potatoes. With that in mind, it was GROSS. But once we stopped thinking of it as Shepherds Pie and started thinking of it as a dish on it’s own, SO DELICIOUS. Isn’t it weird how your brain can trick you like that?
This was incredible easy to make and I just kept it in a crockpot in the fridge and reheated it (on the lowest temperature possible) for 3 nights straight. Thank you bulk-cooking!
Sweet Potato Pot Pie (6-8 servings)
- 7 organic sweet potatoes, chopped into small chunks
- 3/4 cup organic milk (almond, coconut, dairy, whatever)
- 1 organic yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds organic ground turkey
- 1 package of organic gravy mix
- 8oz organic frozen mixed veggies (carrots, peas, etc)
- Boil sweet potato chunks in a large pot until soft. While they are cooking, mix gravy.
- Drain water from pot add the milk and mash it all together. Set aside.
- In a separate, deep pan, sauté onions and garlic for 5 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Add turkey to pan and cook until brown.
- Add gravy and frozen veggies to pan and mix together.
- Either in the large pot or in a crockpot, layer the meat mixture, then the mashed sweet potatoes. Heat in the crockpot or oven on low for 10 minutes. This allows the juices to mix together. YUM