Every once in a while a workout comes along where you really have to employ what I call the “brace.” It protects your lower back AND develops those lower abs into a rock hard segment of that 6-pack you’re going for.
Check here for the full definition. But basically you have to tense your lower abs so it feels like your belly button is touching your back. It took me a really long time to figure out how to workout with this part of my body tensed but, since that point, I’ve seen huge changes in my stomach definition. Put your hand on your lower belly and try it!
For today’s workout it’s extra important to brace because there will be a few exercises that test your core strength:
Beginner through intermediate (12 minutes)
– 20 seconds on/ 20 seconds off
– each exercise 3 times in a row
Advanced (16 minutes)
– 30 seconds on/ 10 seconds off
– each exercise 4 times in a row
1. squat jumps (too easy? squat lower, jump higher, go faster)
2. elbow-in pushups (in plank, on your knees, or against a wall)
3. lunges (too easy? lunge lower, go faster)
4. bird dogs (hold the “bird” on each side for 2 seconds, stretch as high as you can)
5. russian twist (legs in an upside-down “V”, 90° angle, or straight in the air, sit on your tailbone and keep your back straight)
6. plank (for advanced, do it with little swimmer kicks)
Have you ever done one of these workouts? How did it go? I hope you’re having a happy day. We’re coming out of winter so keep your chin up! 🙂
Great exercises,that is some of Jimmy’s class all of them and then the fire hydrant and all a min.each 3 times.ouch!!!!
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 14:07:11 +0000 To: firstname.lastname@example.org