This week has been completely and utterly exhausting. I forgot how draining it is to adjust to a new schedule, especially when that schedule involves 6am workouts … but I’m getting the hang of it and next week I WILL have more energy! Haha.
So last night, my mom invited me to a cooking class! My dad is sick so I took his place. It was us and two other couples and it took place at a gorgeous winery in Rancho Bernardo, CA. We cooked three dishes and drank as much wine as we could stomach in the 3 hours we were there. YUM. My favorite dish by far was the Mexican Poached Eggs. I am trying to go full vegan (at least during the week) but when the dish is as tasty as this, it’s definitely worth eating.
We ate this by itself but it would be amazing on a bed of fresh spinach or over roasted potatoes. And it’s actually pretty easy to make.
Mexican Poached Eggs (servings: 2-4, cook time: 30 min)
- 2 TBSP coconut or another high-heat oil
- 1/2 onion
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 organic eggs
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded (optional)
- 1/2 cup basil
- Chop onion and tomatoes into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Use a spoon to make 4 wells in the mixture and crack an egg into each. We will be poaching the eggs in the sauce! (< genius).
- Cover pan and cook until egg whites are firm and yolks are just starting to set, about 5 minutes.
- (Optional) Sprinkle with cheese and cover again to let it melt.
- Sprinkle with herbs and serve!
Here are a few more photos from the cooking class. My mom bought the tickets on Groupon for $20 a person. Such a great deal for a fun night out with friends.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Go out and do something awesome with friends. Love and a big smile – Ash