Happy Saturday! Holy Bajolies this week has been crazy. I seriously can’t believe it’s Saturday already. Saturday morning is my grocery shopping time and I have a full day of work this afternoon so I woke up bright and early (and not too happily), did a quick spot of yoga to loosen up my stiff joints, and headed across the street to Peoria’s best farmer’s market.
A few awesome things about farmer’s markets:
1. You know exactly where everything comes from.
2. It’s all fresh.
3. It’s mostly organic too, although you have to check on this one.
4. You’re supporting the local farmers and keeping out the unhealthy, mass farms.
5. You get outside and interact with your community.
6. The food is SO much tastier than the grocery store produce.
7. You’re eating seasonal which varies your diet and provides inspiration in the kitchen.
Some things to be cautious of:
– Keep an eye on pricing, sometimes one or two items can be very expensive.
– Don’t over buy. It can be tempting with all the beautiful colors in front of you. But here’s a tip, go with a certain amount of cash (I take $25) and leave once you’ve spent it.
– Scan the whole spread of vendors before choosing the stands you will buy from, you may get to the end and realize one was much better than another.
Other than that, enjoy! I buy 50% of our fridge stock from our market and it’s made our diet so much better. I’ve come to look forward to it every week.
Check this site out for almost all the markets in the US: http://www.localharvest.org/farmers-markets/
For those outside the US, just google “Farmer market [name of your town].”
don’t forget —> 🙂