I hesitate in calling this dish a “sauce.” It’s chunky with creamy eggplant and can almost be eaten on its own. But the flavors are so strong in their deliciousness that it has to be paired with something more basic.
It was an adaptation from a Veggie cookbook I haven’t opened in years. It’s hard to find yummy eggplant recipes that aren’t coated in cheese! But I found one, this is a winner.
Chunky Eggplant Sauce
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (I keep a jar in the fridge at all times)
- 1 Tbsp tahini (also keep a jar of this)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- meat if you want- I used chicken breast leftovers from Indian takeout.
- something for the base- I used quinoa
- Trim the ends of the eggplant. Cut it further into 1/2″ slices. Cut those into quarters.
- Steam the eggplant 6-8 minutes or until softened.
- While it’s steaming, chop onion and tomato. Sauté them on medium heat together with the olive oil. Now add the meat if you want.
- When the eggplant is done steaming, strain it in a colander. Press the juice out with a spoon.
- Add the strained eggplant and tahini to the sauté and turn off the heat. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add it to something basic like quinoa and Enjoy!
Let me know how it goes. Love and a giant smile. -Ash