I keep seeing all these painted glass beauties on Pinterest so finally I decided to do one myself. It was so easy and now I have the prettiest milk jug you ever did see. I did it just like the DIY leather belts. Set up a station in my living room and did a few coats a night. It took me about 5 days, 5 minutes a day.
Because I now make my own almond and coconut milk, I really needed someway to store them in my fridge. A few goodwill visits later, I finally found an old-school milk jug for $2. I cleaned it with soap and boiling water and set to painting it.
Gold Dipped Milk Jug (with swirls!)
- your glassware of choice
- painters (masking) tape
- gold acrylic paint
- Mod Podge
- thick paint brush (mine was 3/4″)
- Elmers glue (if you want to do swirls)
- Clean the outside and inside of your glassware with very hot water and dish soap. Dry thoroughly.
- Tape off the line under which you’d like to paint.
- Paint in broad, one-directional strokes up to the painters tape.
- Let that coat dry then add another layer.
- After 2 or 3 layers, remove the tape very carefully so as not to chip the paint.
- Run a thick line of paint to smooth the edges where the tape was. At the same time, swirl a thin layer of Elmers glue in whatever design you like. Make sure the layer is very thin otherwise the glue will drip before drying.
- Continue adding coats of paint (now over the glue too) until you have the desired color.
- Now start adding thin layers of Mod Podge. Make sure to let each coat dry before adding another. Continue for 2 or 3 coats until you have the desired thickness of finish.
- Wash your glassware one more time and now it’s ready for use!
- Enjoy 🙂
I hope you all have fantastic weekends. Love and a big smile – Ash