I keep seeing all these painted glass beauties on Pinterest so finally I decided to do one myself. It was so easy and now I have the prettiest milk jug you ever did see. I did it just like the DIY leather belts. Set up a station in my living room and did a few coats a night. It took me about 5 days, 5 minutes a day.
Because I now make my own almond and coconut milk, I really needed someway to store them in my fridge. A few goodwill visits later, I finally found an old-school milk jug for $2. I cleaned it with soap and boiling water and set to painting it.
Gold Dipped Milk Jug (with swirls!)
- your glassware of choice
- painters (masking) tape
- gold acrylic paint
- Mod Podge
- thick paint brush (mine was 3/4″)
- Elmers glue (if you want to do swirls)
- Clean the outside and inside of your glassware with very hot water and dish soap. Dry thoroughly.
- Tape off the line under which you’d like to paint.
- Paint in broad, one-directional strokes up to the painters tape.
- Let that coat dry then add another layer.
- After 2 or 3 layers, remove the tape very carefully so as not to chip the paint.
- Run a thick line of paint to smooth the edges where the tape was. At the same time, swirl a thin layer of Elmers glue in whatever design you like. Make sure the layer is very thin otherwise the glue will drip before drying.
- Continue adding coats of paint (now over the glue too) until you have the desired color.
- Now start adding thin layers of Mod Podge. Make sure to let each coat dry before adding another. Continue for 2 or 3 coats until you have the desired thickness of finish.
- Wash your glassware one more time and now it’s ready for use!
- Enjoy 🙂
I hope you all have fantastic weekends. Love and a big smile – Ash
That is so cool!! I might have to try something like that for a vase – it doesn’t have to be a milk jug and it doesn’t have to be gold, right?
Correct and correct! So many possibilities. I’ve also seen it where people swirl paint around on the INSIDE of the glassware for a vase or something you’re not eating from. That’s really pretty too.